recipe- Caramelised Onion Jam
Caramelised Onion Jam
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1/2 cup
- 1 tbsp oil of choice coconut or olive
- 4 cups of onion, sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Dash of salt and pepper
- In a large frypan, place oil Once nice and hot, throw the onion slices in and stir around making sure the fat evenly coats the onions.
- Lay a heavy medium –sized skillet lid directly on top of the onions for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This helps speed up the cooking process of the onions.
- Stir in ¼ cup of water into the onions, and then cook covered (with a lid that fits now) for 40-45 minutes depending on your stove temp. I like to stir the onions every 8-10 minutes to get beautiful browning. *The last 15 minutes you really gotta keep an eye on them. Caramelizing onions can be tricky.
- Mix in the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and salt + pepper, and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. The mixture should become thick and gooey, with very little moisture.
- Store contents in a tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. Makes about ½ cup, but this recipe can be easily doubled.