recipe-chocolate chia cake
chocolate chia cake
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds, soaked in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes.
- ½ cup raw cocoa
- 125g softened butter or 1/2 cup of olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 5 medium eggs
- 1 cup (175g) almond meal
- 1 cup coconut sugar, or your choice of sugar (alternatively use 3/4 cups of rapidura sugar or 3/4 cup of honey)
- good pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line a spring form cake tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Soak chia seeds in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- The seeds will absorb all the water and swell to form a gel.
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk to combine well & break up any lumps (at least 1 minute).
- Pour into lined cake tin.
- Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until it bounces back when pressed in middle.
- Let the cake cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin.
- Finish cooling on a wire cooling rack.
- you can dust this with cocoa when it is cool or use my Chocolate Glaze (raw) for extra yum
Here is the recipe for the chocolate glaze we put on top of the chocolate chia cake – just think syrup and you will have the right consistency in mind.
In a bowl – mix 5 parts coconut palm sugar to 1 part cocoa.
Mix until lump free.
To this GRADUALLY add water – a little bit at a time and keep stirring .You want this mix to be quite thick – let it sit for about 10 minutes and stir again.
The coconut sugar should have all but melted into this delicious yumminess. If you want to add more water to make it runnier – a LITTLE bit at a time. It should be glossy and a good consistency to stay on the cake.
Pour it over the cake and DIG in!